Demand for water is high and customers in several cities are being requested to lower consumption, if at all possible. The City of Murphy, along with many other cities in the area, receive water from the North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD). We are all working collectively to lower overall consumption.
NTMWD is experiencing unprecedented high water demands causing strain on their ability to provide water to area cities during this period of high demand. Currently, Murphy's water system is still operating as it should, however, if that should change, residents will be notified via social media, Nextdoor, city website and Rave/Smart 911 alert.
One of the best ways residents and businesses can help conserve water, is to contact the city at: 972-468-4236 as soon as possible if you have a broken pipe. It's not only important to act quickly to save water, but it helps to potentially reduce damage to your home.
Murphy residents are encouraged to reduce any unnecessary water usage, to help ease the strain.
How can you help?
- If you have a water leak, immediately call Murphy's Police Non-Emergency number: 972-468-4236 to have your water turned off.
- Do not hoard water
- Reduce washing clothes and/or dishes. Wash only when necessary.
- Delay showers and only hand-bathe when necessary
- If you are dripping your faucets, reduce the flow of water to a steady drip, not a full stream of water. Collect the water for other uses such as filling toilets, washing
- Do not use the garbage disposal, place food scraps in the garbage can
- Turn off water to brush teeth and shave.
- When cooking, peel and clean vegetables in a large bowl instead of under running water
Many cities are issuing a boil water notice. The City of Murphy is currently not under a boil water notice. Should Murphy residents need to boil water, abundant notice will be provided via: social media, Nextdoor, city website and Rave/Smart 911. If such notice becomes necessary, please help spread the word to neighbors who are elderly and/or individuals who are not technology savvy.