May 2, 2020 General Election
Primary Polling Location
Murphy Community Center
205 North Murphy Road
Murphy, Texas 75094
Quick Reference Dates
January 15 First Day for Filing for Place on Ballot
February 14 Last Day for Filing for Place on Ballot - must be received by 5:00 p.m.
February 22 Last Day for Candidate to Withdraw - must be received by 5:00 p.m.
April 2 Last Day to Register to Vote (Postmarked)
April 20 Deadline for Application by Mail for a Ballot (Received, not Postmarked)
April 20 - 28 Early Voting (click here for locations/hours for Collin County voters)
May 2 Election Day - 7:00 a.m to 7:00 p.m. (click here for locations/hours for Collin County voters)
Qualifications of City Council (City Charter)
Section 3.03. Qualifications of City Council
In addition to any other qualifications prescribed by law, a candidate for Mayor and City Council shall meet the following qualifications:
(1) Shall be at least twenty-one (21) years of age at the time of the election for which they are filing;
(2) Shall be a qualified voter; and
(3) Shall have resided within the corporate limits of the City, or recently annexed territory, for at least twelve (12) months immediately preceding Election Day.
(4) No candidate for elective City office may file in a single election for more than one (1) office or position as provided by this Charter.
(5) No employee of the City shall continue in any City employee position after filing for an elective office provided for in this Charter.
(6) Candidates for elective City offices shall file for office in accordance with the Texas Election Code and comply with all other City ordinances or resolutions that may be applicable.
Unless otherwise provided, the term “qualified voter” in this Charter means a qualified voter in accordance with the Texas Election Code residing in the City.
(Ordinance 10-11-861, ex. B, adopted 11/15/10; Ordinance 16-11-1026, ex. B, adopted 11/17/16)
State law references–Eligibility for public office, V.T.C.A., Election Code, sec. 141.001 et seq.; age and residence requirements for home-rule city office, V.T.C.A., Election Code, sec. 141.003.
General Election Information
- Registration Search Important 2020 Election Dates
- Voting for Disabled Voters Running for Local Office
- Absentee or by-mail voting Notice of Deadline to File for a Place on the Ballot
- Want to be an election worker?
For additional information, contact Susie Quinn, City Secretary.