Hydrant Meter Rental & Leak Credits
Hydrant Meter Rental
Contract water meters are used to measure the volume of water withdrawn from fire hydrants within the City of Murphy. The meters are available to customers by coming to the City Hall Customer Service Department. Meters are issued upon receipt of deposit and completion of our Hydrant Meter Application.
- Contractors are responsible for water meter readings and must be give them to the Customer Service Department or faxed them to 972-468-4104 on a weekly basis or a $500 penalty may result.
- The meter monthly use fee is $100, plus $3 per every 1,000 gallons used.
- There is a required deposit of $1,500, refundable upon return of meter in working condition.
- There is a storm water fee of $3 each month.
- You must furnish your own back flow device, and we would need copies of the testing done on it.
Water Leak Information
The City of Murphy ordinances allows customers who have suffered an excusable defect to receive a leak adjustment. All leaks are a priority; however, leaks posing a potential threat to health and safety are handled as emergencies and receive priority response. Please call our emergency number at 972-468-4236 if you are experiencing this kind of leak.
Please provide a Leak Credit Application to the Customer Service Department requesting a leak credit please include the service address along with the approximate dates the leak occurred and with the repair receipt in order to receive proper credit. A leak credit will be applied only after a customer presents proof of a repair of the leak to the Customer Service Department.
When Credits Will Be Applied
When the leak credit has been approved by the Customer Service Department, a credit will be applied on your water statement and you will be notified of the credit. Leak credits are based on water usage consumption, not dollar amounts. The leak credit will apply to water usage only and a leak credit shall be applied only once in a 12 month period as appropriate. A maximum of 3 months of average leak credit will be considered during the duration of the leak. Please continue to make your monthly payments as scheduled.