Derby Format and Rules
DERBY FORMAT & RULES
1. General Fishing Area: The general area shall be the pond by Murphy City Hall only.
2. Duration of Contest: The Rainbow Trout Roundup will be held on Saturday, February 25th, from 9:00am to 11:30am.
3. Prize Fish Classifications – “Eligible Fish”
a. Only Rainbow Trout caught by angling within the designated fishing area during the hours of the contest by any qualified Derby contestant may be entered for judging subject to all other Derby regulations.
b. All fish shall be brought to the designated judging area for entry into the derby.
c. In case of a tie the winner will be determined by the time the fish was judged. Catfish can be dropped at designated location.
4. Conditions & Means of Contest Entry
a. Contestants must register in person or online for the Rainbow Trout Roundup. Registration is free and open to both residents and nonresidents.
5. Prize Categories
a. Prizes will be awarded for longest, shortest, and heaviest stringer of five (5) for each age group.
b. Age groups are 0-6 years old, 7-11 years old, and 12-17 years old.
RULES AND JUDGING PROCEDURES
1. Contestants may enter five (5) trout for judging. No contestant will be eligible for more than one competition prize per category. A fish may qualify for multiple categories.
2. All fish entered should be brought to the weigh station immediately. The decision of the judges is final. Contestants are responsible for verification of length of fish at time of judging.
3. Tie Breakers for Prizes. If two fish the same length are turned in. The prize will go to the fish that was submitted first to the judges.
4. All fish must be caught and the contestant en-route to the judging area by 11:30 AM.
5. Contestants are responsible for their own safety, actions, and property, at all times.
6. Children under thirteen must be supervised.
7. All laws of the City of Murphy will be abided by at all times.
8. Contest and raffle prizes are the responsibility of the winners. Prizes must be claimed the day of the event.
9. Failure to comply with any contest rules subjects' contestants to disqualification and removal from competition site, as determined by contest officials. Right to refuse to sell and/or revoke a competition ticket to anyone is hereby reserved.
10. There will be leader board located in the judging area. All efforts will be made to keep the board up to date and accurate. Tournament results remain unofficial until verified by the head judge.
11. All contestants and others hereby consent to the use of any names, photographs or likenesses of
themselves to be used in promotion of our contest, including but not limited to print, radio, television, or any other media.
12. We thank you for supporting our efforts to protect the environment we request that you do not deposit cigarette butts or other refuse in the Pond.
13. No Fishing is permitted for anglers 18+ years during the tournament 9-11:30am. Anglers 17+ can fish 11:30am-4pm without a fishing license. After 4pm you must have a Texas Fishing license to fish. The Game Warden will be on-site checking licenses leading up to and after the event. You may be ticketed for fishing without a license after 4pm.