Trash & Recycling
Republic Services contract to begin May 1, 2018. This page is currently being updated.
Beginning May 1, 2018, Republic Services has been contracted as the service provider for garbage, recyclables, and bulk pick up within the City of Murphy. Your trash and recycle bins should be placed curbside no later than 7 a.m.
According to a city ordinance, your poly cart / recycle bin shall be removed from the curb no later than 12 noon the day after your regular scheduled pick up. You have 1 garbage / recycle pickup day per week.
- Gray cart is to be used for trash items. Green cart is for recycle only.
- Weekly pickups include up to 4 cubic yards of extra items out beside your cart.
- Limbs that are neatly stacked, 4 foot by 4 foot, can be placed at the curb each week. Any single item must weigh less than 50 pounds.
- Paint cans containing wet paint cannot be placed in garbage cart; however, if leftover paint is allowed to dry solid, it is then considered solid waste and may be placed in the garbage cart. Add cat litter to old paint to accelerate the drying process.
In addition to your regular weekly garbage service, you may include up to 4 cubic yards of extra items out beside your cart as long as it follows the above guidelines.
- Have your trash out by 7 a.m. on your designated collection day.
- Bag your trash and recycle material to minimize the potential of the wind blowing it out of the container as it gets collected.
- Keep the lid closed and do not overfill the cart.
- Do not park cars in front of containers as this will prevent the collection of your trash and recycle materials.
- Do not place household chemicals or electronics in your garbage or recycle cart. These items are collected twice per year at the Community Clean and Green drop off event.
- If your container needs to be repaired or replaced, please contact Customer Service or use the My Resource app provided by Republic Services.
Residential Solid Waste and Recycling Rates beginning May 1, 2018
- Base Service Rate (includes 1 trash and 1 recycle cart) - $16.94
- Extra trash cart fee - $8.00
- Extra recycle cart fee - $6.00