When a Permit Is Required

When You Need a Permit

Permits are required when building, remodeling or enlarging a building. Permits are also required for other improvements to your property. Projects that are cosmetic (such as painting, wallpapering, carpeting, cabinets, and trim work) do not require permits. Additionally, permits are not required when replacing fixtures on existing wiring or plumbing.

The following is a list of projects for which a permit is required. Please note this list is not an all-inclusive, if uncertain contact Customer Service Department at customerservice@murphytx.org for inquiries.
  • Additions to a building
  • Building a spa (self contained portable plug-in type spas require electrical permit and shall comply with safety glazing requirements, Chapter 24 of the 2003 International Building Code)
  • Building a swimming pool, repairing or filling in a swimming pool
  • Building or replacing a deck more than 30 inches above grade
  • Building, replacing, moving or repairing a fence
  • Building or replacing a retaining wall over two feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall
  • Construction of a main building
  • Construction of an accessory building (including permanent and portable storage sheds, gazebos, carports, arbors and patio covers)
  • Demolition of a building
  • Electrical work (repair work - such as replacing switches, plugs, and ballasts - is exempt)
    • Flatwork repairs or additions
    • Foundation repairs
    • Installing a circular drive
    • Installing or replacing a driveway approach (the portion of the drive connecting to the street)
    • Installing or replacing a furnace
    • Installing or replacing an air conditioning system
    • Irrigation systems (lawn sprinklers)
    • Plumbing work
    • Remodeling of a building requiring the addition or replacement of walls or windows
    • Replacing a roof
    • Replacing water or sewer lines (repair work such as exchange of washers and faucets is exempt)
    • Security bars
    • Storm Shelters
    • Water heaters (replacing or adding)
    • Water softeners 
    • Installing or replacing an outdoor fire pit or fire place
Note: This is not an all-inclusive list. Questions concerning your specific project should be forwarded to the Customer Service Department at 972-468-4100. Also, please contact your Home Owners Association (HOA) for additional requirements from deed restrictions and covenants.